Download your FREE Business Idea Starter Kit to get your business started NOW:
It’s very easy to caught up in your business, especially at the start when you are working super hard to make it work.
I know from personal experience it can be hard to step back and really have fun in your business. Sure, I go for long lunches and afternoon clothes shopping trips, but then often I find myself working late to get something done or getting really intensely involved in something and missing out on the fun stuff.
But fun should be built in to your business! After all, you created this as a mechanism to live life on your terms – so make sure you are doing it!
- Make sure to take time out. It’s about the journey. While achieving your goals is important, enjoying life is too. Only this morning I was speaking to a client about the fact she wanted to wait until school holidays are over to launch her site, and for her that is the right way to go. She’s taking a time out to enjoy the hols with her kids before diving into something big.
- Celebrate ALL wins. Preferably with a celebration dress and dancing. And wine! I have a celebration dress. One day maybe I’ll share a picture :-) If you have a mastermind group or accountability partner, make it part of your weekly check-in to list your wins. And if you don’t have someone to share with, find someone!
- Remember people love you for who you are, so be yourself as much as your business model allows it. I had kids over during the school holidays and they were given strict orders to be quiet during my client calls. Afterwards one of them said to my partner, “There was a lot of laughing for a client call!” (i.e. she wondered if I was really working). I like to be myself with my clients and I think we have more fun AND get more done because of it. Maybe that means sharing silly videos on your social media, or talking about your favorite TV show in a blog post, or sharing photos of your garden on Instagram – whatever it is for you, embrace it.
- Have a weekly ritual where you celebrate (yes, more celebration) what you achieved last week before planning the new week. It takes the stress off the never ending to do list and you really take time to recognise all the great stuff you did last week. Go you! Again, this is a great habit to get into with an accountability partner, but it’s also a lovely private meditation to start your week.
- Concentrate on what you like. Hate social media? Outsource it. The whole point of your business is to do what you enjoy. If you can’t outsource something (yet!), can you find a way to make it more fun? Put on your favorite tunes and have a glass of wine while you schedule your tweets, you multitasker, you.
- Remember that while you may not have a regular salary to rely on you are the one out there blazing a trail, doing your own thing. So you are pretty special. Enjoy that feeling! Make a list of the things you are garnering that aren’t monetary. Feeling accomplished and powerful? That’s worth something! More time with your family? Definitely worth something. Seeing it written out may make it feel more tangible.
- Find a group of other business owners to hang out with. It doesn’t have to be a formal mastermind group or anything like that – just having coffee with someone who really gets what you’re doing can feel incredible. Forget networking, masterminding or anything like that and just hang out with someone who understands where you’re coming from.
I just know you’re going to have some amazing ideas to add to this list, so please tell me:
How do you bring the fun to your business?
Let’s make a huge crowd-sourced list in the comments below!